Books and Prints - Sale 0304301 - Lot 117Wednesday, April 30, 2003 at 10am
BROWNELL, CHARLES DE WOLFE
Album of 227 watercolors on 122 leaves entitled "Studies From Nature. Water Color" [spine title].
Frontispiece measures 7 3/4 x 12 inches, the individual scenes and views average 8 1/2 x 5 inches. Mounted and bound in 4to, quarter leather album. Small glue stains and discolorations on corners due to mounting.
Caribbean, U.S., Europe, 1856-71 [most items individually dated]
The album is divided into eight named sections each identified in manuscript by the artist. They are:
1. "Palms" - eight watercolors
2. "Tropical Trees and Plants" - 23 watercolors, many done in Puerto Rico
3. "Cuban Landscape" - 16 watercolors, most views identified as "ingenios"; sketches of fauna including iguana, alligators, peacock
4. "Tropical Tree-Trunks" - 37 watercolors
5. "N. England Tree-Trunks" - 8 watercolors identified as White Mountains, Lyme and East Hartford, Conn., etc.
6. "N. England Landscapes" - 28 watercolors including White Mountains, Colchester, Lyme, and Norwich, Conn.
7. "Marine"as Banks, Nivesink, Hatteras, Barnegat Bay, Chesapeake Bay; also views of the Swiss Alps
8. "Sea Coast" - 68 watercolors of Groton, Gay Head, Thimble Islands, Jersey Shore, Narragansett, Watch Hill, East River [New York]; also includes 25 watercolors of plants, 9 of Alps, Vesuvius and other European views
Estate of Maria K. Naylor
Sold for $140,000 (Includes Buyer's Premium)
Any condition statement is given as a courtesy to a client, is only an opinion and should not be treated as a statement of fact. Doyle New York shall have no responsibility for any error or omission. The absence of a condition statement does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition or completely free from wear and tear, imperfections or the effects of aging.
Doyle New York, Auctioneers & Appraisers is one of the world's foremost auctioneers and appraisers of fine art, jewelry, furniture, decorations and a variety of other categories. Located in New York City, the global capital of the auction market, Doyle offers appraisal and auction services to collectors, families, estate executors and museums across the United States and the world. Doyle has built its professional reputation on achieving outstanding prices at auction and focusing on the individual needs of each client.